Patient Rights

Transparent Lotus Graphic

Your Rights as a Patient in Utah

Per federal and state statute, all patients have the right to choose the providers who render care to them. Several sources affirm the right of patients to choose their providers, including the following:

Federal law:

Court decisions establish the right of patients to control the treatment they receive, including the right to determine who provides care. One source of patients' rights to freedom of choice of providers is the “common law.” You have the right of freedom of choice of providers, regardless of treatment setting or payor source. 

- Medicaid and Medicare Federal law--Federal statutes of both the Medicare and Medicaid Programs guarantee patients whose care is paid for by these Programs the right to freedom of choice of providers, regardless of treatment setting. 

Utah Medicaid requirements:

Person-Centered Planning Process: CMS (federal Centers for Medicaid Services) and the Utah Department of Human Services Division Directives requires that a person-centered planning process and assessment be used to develop a person-centered plan. This means the behavioral healthcare process is directed by the client, with assistance as needed or desired from a representative of the individual's choosing. It is intended to identify the strengths, capacities, preferences, needs, and desired measurable outcomes of the individual.

Person-Centered Service plan:

A service plan is the written document, required for Medicaid, that specifies the services and supports that are to be furnished to meet the preferences, choices, abilities and needs of the individual, and that assist the individual to direct those services and supports and remain in the community.

Patients have the right to let their Prepaid Mental Health Plan know if they do not agree with any decisions made by a Medicaid provider, and they may report concerns directly to the Medicaid Information Line:

Call 1-866-608-9422 for questions or complaints about a client's right to choose their provider

If you believe you have been improperly denied a service or benefit because of your age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex or sexual preference, please contact:
Medicaid Constituent Services 1-877-291-5583

You may file a complaint by contacting:

Federal Office for Civil Rights U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Federal Office Building

1961 Stout Street, Room 1426, Denver, CO 80294-3538

Or, you can call to lodge a complaint or ask questions at 1-800-368-1019 TDD 1-800-537-7697